My Blog List

Thursday, November 11, 2010

"Potato Chip Friends"




Jaime & Susan  = 18 yrs together!


Friendship:" A long road together with another person where you are each happy enough to stand in each others shadows just because you love."


There are never enough words, thoughts, emotions to describe what friendship means to me. But  its on my heart today, so I will try.




From the time my children were small I would say to them, "You will be fortunate to have true friends you can count on one hand."  it sounds like a fortune cookie, but its true)


At five, they would gravitate to another child at school,camping, the park, library, store and in a mere minute come running to me with exhuberant innocense proclaiming this little person their "New best friend"

As they grew, life happened as it always does and the heart of childhood became a little tainted with bullies, hurt feelings and broken images as they walked through the teen years. I continued with my proclamation that everyone would not be true... that everyone did not belong in your life...that true friendship takes longer than 5 minutes. It was up to them to seek it out...and that can mean a few scrapes along the way . Life is about taking chances, and that means friendship too.


Today, I know they understand this. I know they have been able to witness in their parents lives exactly what it means to have people you can call at 2:00 in the morning, eat a peanut butter sandwich with( even if there is no jelly); share your deepest secrets with and know they are safe; laugh and cry with ease; pray for you when you have no words and know without a doubt that you want the best for each other.


Demitrios Jazz Alley in Seattle

I call these "Potato Chip Friends" No need to explain myself, we have logged enough hours of trust that they simply know who I am. Does it get any better than that?

At 17, I began to truly grow up. I had to.I had just given birth to my daughter. Even though I was still a young, awkward teen, there was one thing I knew for sure. I wanted to surround myself with people who could teach me what it means to be the kind of friend someone counts on one hand. Thank you God for the people you brought my way!


Dan & Rebecca = 44 yrs together!
           
We have had the joy, through all these years of life, to call several people Potato Chip Friends! Last weekend in Seattle we met up with our dear friends the Monroes ,who have been both Jaime and my friends  for over 30 years! We have walked together through divorce, remarriage, births, deaths and cancer. In between we have Celebrated our Friendship whenever we can. This Seattle weekend was one of those times!





I am sure you have people like this you can count on one hand. Hold them close and cherish. If your reading this and you don't...its time to start seeking! We are meant to be a part of anothers life , inside our family and out, where we can just "be"

                 Heres to all the Potato Chip Friends out there! 


Celebrating Friendship and Dan & Becs 44th " Going Steady Anniversary"
                                                        


1 comment:

  1. Yes, yes! Sweet time for you all, I can see the sincerity of joy on your faces.

    ReplyDelete