My Blog List

Friday, November 19, 2010

Novembers Sunday Dinner "An Offering of Trust"






"A Mans heart plans his way, but the Lord directs his steps"


I opened the door last Sunday to two strangers, Vick and Linda. Linda handed me lavender from her garden. After a cup of hot cider and watching me and Jaime finish cooking dinner, I was pretty sure these strangers were now my friends...at least I hoped so :)      

Vick and Linda







Vick and Jaime were never "strangers", having worked together along with many coffee chats over the past few months that culminated in "its time for Sunday dinner." Jaime has been honored to have Vick as his friend and it was a great joy for me to meet this couple I had heard so much about!

We also invited our dear friends, the Fifield's, who traveled from an hour away to join us for dinner with Vick and Linda.Opening the door and seeing their bright faces made my heart seriously leap...along with the bottle of wine in hand :) They are "Potato Chip Friends"(see last weeks blog :) we have known for over 10 years. They are those kind of people where you never have to be afraid to be "You." Faithful and constant, we only wish we could see them more often!


Will and Stephanie
 

Will sharing a pointed family story!
 With everyone settled in, it was Sunday Dinner once again and our home was  full of welcoming laughter and stories. Vick and Linda bravely listened and laughed with us over the crazy antics and love that fills up the days of family life!





Welcome to our Life!
 
Later, I thought about the evening and how one of the things me and Jaime do is create a list of people to invite, and in our humanness we are sometimes unsure whether or not we are "inviting the right combination of people." Everyone is coming through the door with a different day behind them , along with a different life story. How do you trust that "all will be well?" 


     

Today as I write, Sunday is several days past and the one and only deep thing I am convinced of is that God just wants to keep surprising us. We all carry a "Jekyll" side within us (i.e "crazed side") that  loves to have the illusion we are in control. Like most people, I keep it quiet. But it is there all the same...lurking. It keeps my walk with God spicy though, and aware. That is simply fine with me :)






12 Sunday Dinners began with a vision. Each month we have purposed to "let go" of our own expectations, stand back and see what happens when people, food and lives are mixed together. I see each passing month,each dinner,with much clearer eyes ; like last summers vision coming into focus.




 Each dinner is unique simply because we are people, and holds something out like an offering to me , a chance to grow in the trust of a  plan much greater than mine.

                  
              Cheers and May You have a Happy Thanksgiving!


2 comments:

  1. Beautiful photos, beautiful writing. I love your table settings! Looking forward to the next Sunday dinner!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hint:The Fifields would love to have Sunday dinner together....with the Nelson's.....;) Thanks for the lovely words, Susan. I feel pretty special right now.

    ReplyDelete