My Blog List

Friday, September 10, 2010

"12 SUNDAY DINNERS"

I turned 49 last month and looked ,as I do every year, back over the hills and valleys of my lifetime. There are many things I have learned, people I have loved and lost, dreams dashed, ressurected and new Hopes unfolded before my eyes. But when I broke it all down to the simplest formula there were 3 things I have grown to know for sure.

1) I don't BELIEVE in God. I KNOW Him. (its a relationship)
2) La Vita e Dolce e Salata (Life is Sweet and Salty)
3) Relax into The Mystery ( I dont always get to understand God or this life, therefore a moment becomes ever precious)

I suppose most people think of January 1st , the New Year,as a new beginning. Not me.

I love Christmas, the holidays, but by the time New Years comes around I am so tired of lists that the only "resolution" I want is to curl up with my favorite book and a glass of wine...not create another "to do"  list!

 For me, new beginnings are sensed in the Fall. This year it is no different. Come the end of August, there was already a quiet mystery to my backyard. Unknown, as the shadows fell, a bit eerily accross the grass. The sun dropping from a high sleep, and yet still fooling you with its afternoon warmth, until that sudden morning you awaken to leaves scattered . Crispness. Seasons of life. We only get clues along the way, but it feels beautiful. It feels like HOPE.

In the middle of my pondering I worked my garden. Pulling weeds, eating a strawberry, counting the green fleshy pumpkins (there are 5!) and feeling overwhelmed by thankfullness at the bounty of people who have been placed in my life.

And then. as only God can do, these words came sauntering through my wandering mind :

                                          "12 Sunday Dinners"

"Hmmm..."said my mind. "12 Sunday Dinners. 12 months in a year. A year of  Sunday Dinners.

      Wine, candles, delicious food, conversation, laughter, friends, strangers and God on a Sunday.
                                                 Sounds like church to me.

 I began to picture my 8 kitchen chairs. They are filled with friends. Old and New. Strangers. Connection. My husband Jaime and I standing together through a year of grocery shopping, planning, cooking, uncorking wines. No potluck here. It is our gift to them. To serve, to gather, to open our home.

 I see too, that when they walk through our door, it is a gift returned. I smile.


When I share my vision with Jaime, he smiles too. And that very weekend we purchase 2 beautiful italian tablecloths at an art festival. We both saw the memories, the stories to be shared around these cloths.

It's not that gathering to cook and fellowship has not been part of our lives through the years. It has been the biggest part. It's just that somehow my "connector" cannot place "how" ...but this vision feels different. Mysterious. Lovely. Inspired. I will go with that, stand back and watch what God can do :)

The first of 12 Sunday Dinners begins this weekend. I will be blogging about the monthly dinners and life in between on a weekly basis. Please join Jaime and I on this journey where art meets realtionships and relationships bring about stories...where " Life is Sweet and Salty" and God is always ready to hang out!



alteredlivesart.com

5 comments:

  1. Oh, you know I've always felt the same way about autumn, Susan. I love that in the midst of so much busyness in your life that your mind and heart are open to God's whisperings - nudgings from Him that show how much He loves you and wants to be in the midst of your life and your friends' lives :)

    Here's hoping that I will be one of the lucky ones to be sitting at your table during your October Sunday dinner!

    ♥ Marc

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay for your blog Susan! I'll bookmark it xoxo
    Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  3. The blog looks great Susan. I hope it went off with out a hitch this time.
    I love you Girl!!!
    Michelle

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wonderfully put sweet girl! I'm kinda thinkin' we are all in for a real treat here :) I'm looking forward to some real jewels of wisdom that God grants to us off the vine though this fall season! Much love...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nothing like a bouquet of newly sharpened pencils to bring in the season, my favorite, too. I am in the same sort of season, different things happening, but so full of HOPE! I am excited to be with you on the journey.

    ReplyDelete