My Blog List

Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Freedom on Samish Island

One week ago, a sweet Thursday afternoon , Jaime and I wind our way through  beautiful Samish Island. Blue skies and sunshine. September in all it's glory! We park in front of somebodys beach house, climb out of the truck and breathe in the salt air. Ahhh!!! How can 45 minutes from our own house seem so far away? Yet it does, as we open the door of a strangers home to marvel at our resting place. This is where, because God knew we needed the time, we would stay until Sunday afternoon.
Jaime had painted this house the week before. The owner lived in Seattle. He decided to ask her if she would be willing to rent it to us for a few days.

"Rent it?" she questioned back. "I dont' rent it, just let friends and family stay...go ahead if you would like. Oh,and please wash the bedding and towels; take out the garbage before you leave."

Are you kidding me?! We were amazed at the generosity and I was convinced , once again, how there are still people who don't have an agenda... that some things are still free, gifted, no strings attached. What a blessing it was to cross paths with this person, who, to this day, neither of us has ever met!



And so we stepped forward into a perfect weekend. Complete with great company, delicious food & drink, bike rides,saunas, a hot tub and  fire pit looking out over the sound. To quote God, "And it was good."

I thought about alot of things. Friends,marriage, God, my children, choices, dreams,whether I should cut my hair again... all the ways of this crazy wonderful life I left sitting on a shelf, a mere 45 minutes away. Slowly my mind settled down, felt stilled. I wish that could happen more often at home. It seems no matter what we are doing, even if it's positive, life is so distracting. Time away is necessary.


also thought about freedom those few days. It was the flag.

I watched the flags flying high on poles , a string of them running the length of the coast, one on each lawn. Waving, flapping in the breeze, seagulls flying so close their wings almost tangled in the folds. And it felt like a wake-up call, "See Susan??? Wake up, you take so much for granted. You forget to feel gratitude for the little things, the little freedoms. You concentrate too much on what is not."

I think of the owner of the Beach House...her request for us to "take out the garbage..all else is free. Enjoy!"

I think of what Christ asks of me...basically the same, just clean house..."I am free, I am your gift...just get your heart straight. And don't forget to Enjoy what I have given!"

 I get so much garbage going on inside, that my gratitude becomes buried in a big junk pile and soon  the beauty of  freedoms I have in my corner of the world are forgotten.

All does not last forever. So to breathe it in when  handed to you, to see and experience it in a quiet moment on Samish Island was a pleasure that hit my core!

*side note: would have been lovely to show you a picture of the beach house gift if my cameras battery didn't decide to die. Note to self: Next time away... bring charger.

2 comments:

  1. This comes in poignant parallel to what God has been speaking to me about. Thank you for sharing from your heart. Eric and I got away a couple of weeks ago, and we had the same restless, couldn't quite figure out what to do first feeling followed by similar revelations about taking out the trash of our hearts and enjoying the simple pleasures.
    ~Angela

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, Will and I are due for this, very much so. Thank you for the reminders about the value of quiet time away together.

    ReplyDelete